PRIMING FOR FIRST-TIME USE
- Remove the cap from the MDI and shake the inhaler.
- Spray a few puffs* into the air, away from you.
The number of puffs needed to prime your MDI varies between preparations, so it is important to read the priming instructions that come with your medication.
TO USE AN MDI
1. Remove the cap from the MDI. Hold the inhaler upright and shake well.
2.Breathe out as far as comfortable.
3.Place the mouthpiece of the inhaler between your teeth and seal your lips tightly around it.
4. As you start to breathe in slowly, fully press down on the canister once. Keep breathing in as slowly and deeply as you can. (It should take about 5 seconds to breathe in.)
5. Remove the MDI from your mouth. Hold your breath for as long as comfortable (around 10 seconds) to allow the medication to reach the airways of the lungs.
6.Breathe out slowly.
7.Repeat the above steps for each puff ordered by your doctor. Wait about 30 to 60 seconds between puffs.
8.Replace the cap on the MDI when finished.
9.If you are using a corticosteroid MDI, you MUST rinse or gargle your mouth using water or mouthwash and split out after each use.
- If a bronchodilator (reliever) and a corticosteroid (preventer) inhaler are needed at the same time, bronchodilator should be administered prior to inhaled corticosteroids as this would permit enhanced deposition of an inhaled corticosteroid.
- If you are using MDI with a Spacer, please refer to our patient information leaflet on “How to Use a Spacer”.
CARE FOR YOUR MDI
- To stop your MDI from blocking, it is important to clean it at least once a week.
- To clean your MDI, remove the canister from the plastic holder of the inhaler and remove the mouthpiece cover.
- Rinse the plastic holder thoroughly using soapy warm water.
- Air dry the plastic holder thoroughly inside-out.
- Replace the canister into the plastic holder, test it by releasing a single puff into the air and put on mouthpiece cover.
- DO NOT put the metal canister in water.
For enquiries, please call：
Matilda International Hospital – Pharmacy Department
41 Mount Kellett Road, The Peak, Hong Kong
t 2849 1531
Articles on this website are informative only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. They should not be relied upon for specific medical advice.